Saturday 2 April 2016

My first crush,

It was a typical day of grade two. I had just finished my morning classes and it was time for lunch break. My friend, let’s call her Beth, had a broken leg, which meant she didn’t have to go play outside for recess. Every day she would choose two friends to stay inside with her. This particular day, I was one of her choices. I can’t say I quite remember what we were doing that particular day but we decided to do something really secretive. Beth asked me, who I had a crush on. I didn’t even know what that really meant, why would I like a boy? They were my friends, did she mean like my mom and dad who were married? Beth told me we had to go to the desk of the boy we liked and kiss the top of the desk. I let her go first. She kissed the top of the desk of a boy, he can be called Toby. He’s so cute, Beth told me. Then it was my turn, so I thought of all the boys in my grade two class. Who was cute? I picked a boy named John. I went and found his desk and kissed the top. I guess I made the wrong choice though, because Beth’s face was scrunched together when I looked up. You like John? She asked me, but he’s so gross and he always picks his nose. 
How was I supposed to know who to pick? I hardly had been in the class for a month, I hardly knew all the boy’s names, and I had never liked anyone before. 
It wasn’t till weeks later as I sat in carpet time, I realized what being cute meant, Toby was cute. He had these blue eyes, floppy hair, and a little chip in one tooth when he smiled. He always made me laugh. And then I knew what Beth meant about having a crush. I had a crush on Toby.

-The Girl Next Door <3

1 comment:

  1. Aww, this is such a cute and well-written story! Love the way you told it. It's funny to imagine 2nd graders kissing a desk to show who's their secret crush. Awesome post ;)

    x Envy
    Lost in Translation

    ReplyDelete